Saturday, January 16, 2010

What is this bald spot on my rabbit?

I got two new rabbits a few weeks ago. I've had a rabbit before and it shed, but I've never seen something like this.. my one rabbit's head has a bald spot, the hair is just gone, cleaned off. I saw the other rabbit nibbling on the bald one for a while but I assumed this was common practice in rabbit companions, but maybe it's the cause? Could someone tell me what this is? Should I see a vet?What is this bald spot on my rabbit?
Not all rabbits get along. Often when two rabbits are kept together one will chew the hair off the other one. It could be mites, but they are ';crusty';.


I would bet the one is chewing the hair off the other one.


Get them separate cages.What is this bald spot on my rabbit?
Bald spots are actually quite common among rabbits. Rabbits shed every 3 weeks, bald patches occur often. Angora rabbits sometimes shed almost all their fur apart from their face and feet!





The hair should grow back within a few weeks, and don't worry. I don't think the other rabbit enjoys nibbling your other bunnies hair.
The rabbits probably got into a fight and one lost some of it's fur in the process. If more bald spots show up separate the rabbits.
It could have mites, very common in rabbits





If they get worse, loose allot more fur, and scratch themselves





See a Vet for treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment