Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Why does my rabbit growl at me?

I have a female lion head rabbit called Honey who is around 6 months old and is normally lovely.


Over the past two days though she has been growling at me and hiding in the corner of the shed.


She has always loved her food and normally when she hears me getting it out of the box she runs down to me but recently she has just sat and growled at me in the corner.


We had a puppy over at the weekend and although it is very gentle it is very loud. We kept Honey in the shed when it was over but she wasnt doing it before he came, any ideas what to do?Why does my rabbit growl at me?
She has reached sexual maturity and is telling you she is ready to be bred. This will calm down over time if you do not breed her. Once the hormones level out they willing settle down. She may never go back to be a cuddly love again but she will be fine. Once does (females) reach maturity they can often develop an ';attitude'. Some breeds are more hormonal than others, usually the small breeds, Netherland Dwarf, Polish, Holland Lop, Lionhead. They can even become so bad as they will attack and bite.Why does my rabbit growl at me?
She could be feeling threatened by even the smell of a puppy or any other animal. But my guess is it is her hormones - it's time for her to get spayed.





This often happens to rabbits at this age - they enter their ';teenage years'; and may become aggressive, rebellious and grouchy. Getting her spayed will definitely help.





I also think leaving her in a shed is not a good idea. Rabbits are house pets and belong indoors. They love being a part of the family and the more you interact with her - and chances are you will interact with her more when she is indoors with you - the more she will trust you and not feel the need to growl and be grouchy. Love her, be with her, play with her, but don't send her outdoors when you are done. She wants to be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment