Saturday, January 23, 2010

Can I just replace a convertible top and toss the headliner and padding, or do I need them on an 84 rabbit?

I have been working on an 84 white VW Rabbit convertible with a black topfor a year and a half and have put off replacing the top until this spring. The top is really ragged with black tape covering the tears. The headliner underneath show age but has no visible rips or tears. The original horsehair padding is pretty stiff.





It has bothered me though: I never drive it with the top up, have only taken it out maybe 15 times per summer and leave it covered with a waterproof car cover with breathable eyelits when not in use(did some research on which cover to get and it was well worth it).





I can pick up a top and new hardware online for less than 200 or get the complete kit with new padding and headliner for over 400.





But do I really need the headliner and padding? The only thing they seem to be there for is blockout out sound when the top is up and make it look a little nicer inside.





I would be cheaper and easier to install if I just foregoed on the headliner and paddingCan I just replace a convertible top and toss the headliner and padding, or do I need them on an 84 rabbit?
I own a 1994 LeBaron convertible...the old headliner was simply installed on the new top, no problem.





It is useful to keep the liner...if you do have a need to drive with the top up, the car is better insulated, and much quieter. Looks nicer, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment