Friday, January 22, 2010

Can dogs be allergic to rabbit dander/fur/etc?

Two weeks after I got a bun my dog had runny nose. The vet said he had upper respiratory infection (he also had a fever that came and went) and prescribed some antibiotic pills.





A week later, still had runny nose and an on/off fever. He then prescribed baytril for a week. At the end of the week he became more energetic, was eating and no fever, but still had nose discharge.





So today, he is now on Clavamox for a week and the vet thinks he is allergic to the rabbit. We will be testing this out and the rabbit will be staying with immediate family for a week or two to see if my dog gets better.





I'm doubting this vet since he never even examines my dog, just prescribes pills. My dog's old vet is an hour away, but I plan on getting a second opinion. I just want to know if it's possible? Especially if he had fever along with it and if anyone has any experiences with URI. How long does it last, symptoms, etc?Can dogs be allergic to rabbit dander/fur/etc?
Yes they can dog are just like people they can be allergic to anything.


If you go to Your dog's vet the could give you allergy tablets.Can dogs be allergic to rabbit dander/fur/etc?
my miniature poodle has severe allergies to environmental things and food items so I definitely believe its possible. I would give it a true trial run and see if its really allergic to the rabbit by cleaning everything the rabbit came into contact with, vacuuming etc. if it was in the house. My dog has the symptoms of runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes, and fever when his allergies were at his worse as well as itchy skin. Hope you figure out your dog's problem soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment