Saturday, January 16, 2010

What should I do with my under weight rabbit?

I got two dwarf rabbits 3 weeks ago when they were 5 weeks old. I was worried about them when I got them thinking they were way to young but the breeder wanted them to go. One is doing GREAT shes growing fast but the other is really skinny. He was the runt and is a third of the size of his sister. He does eat and I'm feeding him formula but I can't see any improvement. I am also giving giving him a multi vitamin supplement. Please HelpWhat should I do with my under weight rabbit?
check to see if he is dehydrated (pale gums) if so he may need to seek vet attention! he also could be anemic. but if he is a runt...then maybe he is just going to be much smaller. be sure to feed this one seperate than the bigger one so that it is getting enough food. if you have the means...i would visit a vet to be safeWhat should I do with my under weight rabbit?
So you got the rabbits at 2 weeks old? Even if the breeder wanted them to go, you should have been smart enough to say no for the well-being of the rabbit. They just start opening their eyes at 2 weeks, they don't stop nursing until 5 weeks. You need to take the rabbits to the vet if you want them to live. The one that is skinny is most likely a ';fader';. These rabbits eventually fade at about 5-6 weeks old. Another reason it is to skinny is because it was taken away from its mother at 2 weeks old. Any rabbit breeder wouldn't be that stupid as to take away a baby at 2 weeks old. If she needed to get rid of them at that age she shouldn't have made the breeding. I am not against breeding rabbits, I breed them my self.
I would advise a vet, to be honest. If he's eating but not putting on weight, then it's concerning that there's something wrong internally.





And I hope you're keeping them apart and getting them spayed/neutured.

No comments:

Post a Comment