Saturday, January 16, 2010

Is a rabbit a good pet for us?

My husband and I live in the city. We are renting an apt. now but hope to buy a house soon. When we buy a house, I would like to get a pet rabbit. We are both in our 30's, have no children, and work 9-5. I've always wanted a rabbit for as long as I can remember; but I never had one because my mother is allergic. My husband had several pet rabbits growing up and he loved them and said they make great pets. Do you think that a rabbit would be a good pet for us, given our circumstances?Is a rabbit a good pet for us?
I think you would be fine with either. I have both, and love each of them equally. I have a mini-rex rabbit, so she is a little bit smaller. She lives in our basement in kind of an interesting set up. Shes got a large pen that she can run around in (roughly 7' x 5') made of wood and barbed wire, and within that, she has a smaller cage with litter box, food, water, toys, etc. We play with her for only about an hour a day, and visit her several times extra to keep her company, and she is very happy. I would only reccomend getting a rabbit if you're able to give it plenty of room, but I would not allow one to roam the house. If you can't offer this much room to a pet, I would reccomend a guinea pig. We keep our in a special guinea pig cage thats roughly 2'x3' and she is very happy. You have to make sure you're going to be able to clean the cage at least once a week, and feed it daily. I think for you, its really an issue of space. When cared for properly, neither of them require tooo much attention, and should be just fine with you're work schedule.Is a rabbit a good pet for us?
of course they are there rally nice fuzzy pets there gonna be your new bestfriend.

Report Abuse



I think both of them would be good pets!!! Have you had a hamster you should try them if you want but yes guinea pigs or a rabbit would be !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A house rabbit can be trained to use a litter box. It is also a very quiet pet. Not a good pet if you had kids because it's frightened by loud noise or can be hurt if mishandled. He needs at least two hours daily out of his cage. They eat pellets, roughage, vegetables and fruits. It's also fairly simple to construct a 'bunny condo'. I think it would be a perfectly suitable pet for you.
I agree with Andy S. If you give the rabbit the proper care, it will be become a wonderful pet. Be sure to adopt from a local shelter or at petfinder.com. There are always rabbits in need of adopting.
Rabbits are high maintanance pets. They are not the cute nose twitching fluff balls that people think. There are many things to consider when purchasing a pet.





The start up for a rabbit will be around 500 dollars, and you should always have about $1000 set aside for emergencies. You need cage, bedding, waterbottle, bowls, hay, veggies, pellets, toys(expect these to be ruined, I replace toys once a month), litter boxes, etc.





Not all rabbits are friendly. Most do not like to be held or cuddled. They freak out if they are picked up incorrectly and kick with thier back legs.





They are farily independant when they are out of thier cage. I consider mine pretty friendly, tolerates being picked up, pet in cage, but even she will not let me pet her once she is out. If you don't mind watching a rabbit run and hop, then they make good pets.Rabbits have a specific diet. Under one year they need alphalpha hay, and pellets, with veggies introduced one at a time. After one year they need mostly veggies(mine gets two cups of assorted veggies, half cup pellets and timothy hay),no more alphalpha past one year. Weight needs to be maintained, as over weight rabbits will have health issues.





Rabbits need to be spayed/neutered. Males will have sexual agression, and females can get cancers if not altered.





Rabbits need a cage large enough to hop around and should be out of thier cage for several hours per day. They must be supervised as they chew wires, books, carpet, etc. They are destructive, I knew a person whose rabbit ripped the wallpaper off the wall. Be prepared to have bare spots in your carpet from chewing and furniture ruined.





They most certainly smell, the urine is very potent. They urinate frequently, my rabbit can sometimes drink an entire water bottle(32 oz) in one day. There poo gets everywhere. They can be litter trained, but are not like cats that will seek out the litter box. You need several boxes all over and even then they might not use it when out of the cage.





Rabbits are messy, they like to dig and throw out litter, I find poo pellet everywhere around the cage.





I have a rabbit and love her, but that is because I respect and understand the kind of pet a rabbit is. Rabbits are not for everyone, and it depends on what you are looking for. If you don't mind a pet that is not too cuddly, does thier own thing, than a rabbit may work for you. Reversely if you are looking for a pet that can hold you may want to go in a different direction.
Neither a rabbit or a guinea pig would bond very much with you, but I think you would be better off with a guinea pig. Rabbits need a bit more attention, while guineapigs are fine left alone for most of the day.
  • stila
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment