Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Young wild rabbit got clobbered by my kitten on my enclosed porch - help? What should I do?

I just managed to get the bunny in an empty kennel. My kitten was trying to chew off its leg, and it got away from her. There is quite a bit of fur and skin that has been bitten off by my kitten (ps, she never goes out, except for on our enclosed porch. The porch has very high ( 8 foot stone walls) all the way around, with one gated door. I think this little rabbit sqeezed under the gate of the door. Anyway, I now have the kitten inside, away from the little bunny rabbit who is still on the porch in the enclosed kennel. It has an obvious wound, what should I do? It is injured. I want to put neosporin on it.Young wild rabbit got clobbered by my kitten on my enclosed porch - help? What should I do?
Cats are natural hunters, so I'm not surprised that this happened.





I'm glad you were able to get the rabbit out of harms way.


Neosporin will be a good start. Make sure the wound is clean, put the neosporin on it, and then a small bandage. You don't want the rabbit licking off the medicine.





Keep a check on the wound. You will notice infection by swelling of the wound and puss. Also, if you touch the leg and the rabbit sqeals. (they do make noises...I used to have a rabbit. They will squeal)





If you can, I highly suggest taking the rabbit to the vet. They can double check the wound and make sure the rabbit is in good health. The doctor might also give it a shot of antibiotics as a precautionary measure, which will help the rabbit.





Also, while you're caring for the rabbit it will need water and rabbit food pellets. The pellets can be bought at any local ';feed-n-seed'; or at most pet shops that sell rabbits. The rabbit will also need a small ';salt lick'; if it stays there for a long time. Not table salt, but a round thing of salt used for caged/tame rabbits. You can also get these at the same place as the rabbit pellets.





Good luck.Young wild rabbit got clobbered by my kitten on my enclosed porch - help? What should I do?
take it to petsmart they will tell you what to do
cool
Unless you are going to keep the bunny then you need to call your local animal control or ASPCA, they will be happy to come pick up the bunny and they will tend to his/her wounds until she/he is better.
Wrap his leg up with gauze and tape. And keep him till he


heals you can feed him carrots,lettuce etc; or just buy


rabbit food. When you give him water make sure you


dip his head in it! This is a must or he wont know about it!
Neosporin does work on animals. I would keep some on it and hang on to the bunny until the wound is scabbed over enough that infection won't get it. He will be fine... oh yeah and food and water...
take it to animal rescue
Call the a vet about the Neosporin I'm not sure it is safe for animals. Also ask the vet if there is a place that cares for injured wild animals. There is an extensive park system where I live, and one of them is a clinic for injured wild animals . . . a vet should know. The bunny is probably very traumatized. Get it to someone who knows how to properly care for it.
Call your local humane society or aspca to find out who they use for wildlife rehab. Rabbits are different than ppl so neosporin alone might not work. Chances are the rabbit will try to bite you and then they'll have to kill it to check for rabies.
take it to a vet.thenmake a little area for ur rabbit to play in and make sure ur kitten cant get in
These sites will help you a lot -


http://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm


http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.htm鈥?/a>





As the first article, above, says, if it's skin was broken by your cat, you need to get to a rabbit-savvy vet, because cats' mouths carry a disease which can kill rabbits - the vet will stop this disease by giving antibiotics.





Very best of luck to you and to the little bunn.
You are a good person, but there are two problems that need to be addressed here. First, that is a wild rabbit you have there, frightened and probably it will die of fright if you don't act quickly. Wild rabbits can actually die of fright being caged and handled that way. I would contact a wildlife rehab. You can find one on line in your area or call the local animal shelter and ask them. Get it to someone who can care for it properly. Second, do not pick it up or touch it again, not only because of scaring it to death, but because it probably will bite or scratch you. I can tell you from experience you don't want that to happen. Those little guys can hurt you! Good luck to you and the bunny!
Honey, if you want to keep the rabbit then you should doctor it and get a nice cage for it, feed it, etc. If you don't want to keep it, pour peroxide on the wound and when it's dry, go ahead and dab some neosporine on it then set it free.
Let your kitten finish it off and throw the carcass away.

No comments:

Post a Comment